How to Measure for your Custom Made Blinds
*Please note we cannot supply into Western Australia due to current supplier arrangements. We apologise for any inconvenience.*
Measuring your blinds in most situations is easy! However if you have a tricky window or need assistance you can always contact us to walk you through it.
You will need:
- A metal tape measure, (cloth tapes are not recommended).
- A pen or pencil.
When you measure:
- Always measure in millimetres (mm).
- Always measure the width first, then the drop - ' W x D '
- Take 3 sets of measurements for the width and the drop. Always use the smallest of the 3 measurements for ordering, (see below).
- If you have someone who can assist, get them to hold the tape measure.
- Double check all measurements before ordering.
- Do not take measurements from plans and always measure every window, even ones that look similar in size.
Where would you like your blind to hang?
Your blinds can be measured and installed in 2 different ways:
- On the inside of your window recess. This is called a 'Recess Fit.'
- On the outside of your window. This is called a 'Face Fit.'
Measuring for blinds that hang inside the window frame (Recess Fit)
Measure the width of the inside of the window, (the blue lines), from wall to wall in the 3 places shown in the diagram to the right. Write down the shortest measurement.
Measure the drop of your blind, (the red lines), in the 3 places shown. Go from the top of the inside of the window recess to the window sill. Write down the shortest measurement.
If your blind has a control, make a note of what side you would like the control on. So when looking at the window opening from the inside looking out and would like the control on the left hand side, you would write down, 'Left.'
Measuring for blinds that hang outside the window frame (Face Fit)
Decide how far you want your blind to extend beyond the left and right of your window, generally the further the distance the better the coverage. Measure the distance between these two points. Repeat for the top, middle and bottom. Write down the shortest measurement.
Decide exactly how high you want your blind to sit above the window opening. Also decide how far below the opening. This measurement is called the drop. Repeat for the left, middle and right drops. Write down the shortest measurement.